In-dash DVD players are a great way to add high-quality mobile video to your vehicle. These devices are available from many manufacturers at a wide range of prices. Here's how to install one.
Things You'll Need Screwdriver Wiring harness
Wrench/socket Installation kit
In-dash DVD player
- 1) One Open the hood of the car and disconnect the battery. You can
disconnect the negative cable only and still be safe, but it's best
to disconnect both the positive and the negative cable.
- 2) Two Using the proper screwdriver, take out the screws holding
the factory stereo in your car's dashboard, then remove the stereo
from the dash. You may have to remove parts of the dash to take the
- 3) Three Carefully remove the connectors from the back of the stereo.
Check the connectors to make sure they're not broken or dirty.
- 4) Four You can buy a wiring harness designed for your vehicle at
a car audio and video equipment dealer; these are intended for aftermarket
installations. Connect the wiring harness to the car's connector. See
the wiring harness instructions for the proper connection.
- 5) Five Insert the in-dash DVD player in the aftermarket installation
kit head unit. All dashboards are different, so you must buy an installation
kit that matches the make of car.
- 6) Six Connect the other end of the wiring harness to the back of
the DVD player. Connect the antenna cable to the antenna input on the
back of the DVD player.
- 7) Seven Insert the DVD player and the installation kit in the car's
dash. Put in any screws that are required and replace any dash panels
that you removed.
- 8) Eight Replace the battery cables and make sure they are tightened.
Close the hood and turn on the car. The in-dash DVD player panel will
light up if the installation was successful.